Depression, Addiction, and Forgiveness
Hi! It's Emily. You may already know that I like to write short stories, mostly fantastical fiction or memories. This is a story/memory that I’ve hesitated to post on my short stories Instagram account (@love.outlaw.stories) simply because it is very close to home and I cannot ever feel like it is done.
I know many of us have dealt with depression and/or addiction of family or friends. Depression had almost ruined my marriage, and is still a looming weight, probably always will be, on my relationship with my husband. Before I was married, before I moved out and then into college, it was my little brother.
I really have no idea if this is some kind of universal story or not. I know the abuse and trauma of alcoholism can be so much more damaging and so I would never pretend to believe I know what anyone else has experienced. Johnny was an ADD kid so I do believe much of his depression was caused by medication and that led him to alcohol. There are so many anecdotes they wouldn’t fit in one story; these are simply two that run vivid for me.
I wish that was the end of these kinds of stories. It’s not. There’s always another boxing match. Depression and addiction are always. I do not feel like there is resolve in apologies anymore. They are absolutely important but they do not make a story full circle.
I’m curious what your take is on this, on apologies and forgiveness, on how you are able to nurture relationships that are laced with depression and addiction?
I know many of us have dealt with depression and/or addiction of family or friends. Depression had almost ruined my marriage, and is still a looming weight, probably always will be, on my relationship with my husband. Before I was married, before I moved out and then into college, it was my little brother.
I really have no idea if this is some kind of universal story or not. I know the abuse and trauma of alcoholism can be so much more damaging and so I would never pretend to believe I know what anyone else has experienced. Johnny was an ADD kid so I do believe much of his depression was caused by medication and that led him to alcohol. There are so many anecdotes they wouldn’t fit in one story; these are simply two that run vivid for me.
There is something that changes in you when you are holding life in your hands. I imagined that this only happened the moment you held your first child, maybe? I believe this happened for me when I found Johnny on the bathroom floor after forcing my way in, picking the lock with a bobby pin. He was unconscious, crumpled in a heap. It had been a year since he “graduated” from outpatient rehabilitation.
I was twenty years old. It was around two o’clock in the morning, and I couldn’t bear to wake up Momma and Daddy. I always knew. Knew he smelled odd, knew he was drunk, high, depressed. Knew if I didn't know he could die and it would all be my fault for not knowing. My parents were in textbook denial.
I checked his pulse and put my hand over his mouth and nose to make sure he was not dead. I pushed on his shoulder and called out “Johnny”, I used my foot to wiggle his hip. “JOHNNY”. He gave a slight groan. I slapped him in the face and leaned into his ear, and with a short, sharp burst, “JOHNNY!”. Another groan and his hand raised and flopped to the ground.
He weighed about 180 pounds then. Working out and bulking up in the pickling room seemed to be the only thing that kept him sober. Luckily, I was a dancer with strong legs too. I squatted down and dug my shoulder into his armpit. After some wobbling and adjusting, I drug him from the bathroom to his room next door.
I had to jump to get high enough for his weight to help me push him onto the bed. I laid him on his side the best I could. I spread a towel on the floor next to him just in case, but knew his liver was so taxed that he probably wouldn’t be lucky enough to throw up any of the poison.
I laid in bed wide awake all night, debating whether or not to call an ambulance, getting up every half hour to check in on his soaked with sweat body. He slept until the next evening. He did not remember. Does not remember, as far as I know.
Three years later it was his twenty-first birthday. My fiancé's band manager by coincidence was marrying a Baton Rouge girl that night, and my parents took an impulsive 60 mile drive to Lake Pontchartrain to sunset sail with friends.
When we got back from the wedding, we discovered that Johnny had decided to have a drink for every year he had been alive. This decision inspired a drunken boxing match.
It wasn’t the glove but the concrete jumping up to punch him in the head. Fifteen drunken twenty year olds teamed up to carry him into the house. “He’s fine. See, he’s walking.” they said as I followed behind his shoes dragging across the carport. “Someone call 911!” I said, scrambling behind. My heart was pounding.
They brought him into his room and laid him on the bed. He wasn’t moving or talking. “Call 911!” I said to his friend. He slurred “He’s fine, and you’ll get in trouble if the cops come because you are old.” I was scared to leave him but ran to the kitchen anyway and called 911. I told everyone to "get the fuck out of the room". I slapped his busted face hoping to stir him. He was breathing. As long as he kept breathing.
The EMTs came in and started examining. Johnny suddenly came to and the paramedics had to hold him down in the bed. He no doubt had a concussion that triggered his defense mechanism, and he was pissed. His eyes were blank with booze and shock. They brought in a gurney and wheeled him out. I got in he truck with him. En route one of the technicians checked his Blood Alcohol Content. It was more than double that of the legal limit.
I was scared. It was all on me. Again. But it was also a relief to be going to the hospital. That someone else could help me. I was not alone anymore, for now. I was looking at him, watching his face to see if he was still conscious. His eyes caught mine and he stared for a minute, then said, “I hate you so much.”
The next day he hardly spoke to me. He would not look me in the eyes. I knew he was angry with me because I forced the situation to turn the corner into a mirrored hallway. I was the hands always catching, but I was in turn always the hands pushing his gaze onto his faults and weaknesses. I hated myself for that, too.
I had gone to get a coffee and when I returned my parents stepped out. “He wants to tell you something.” I went in, eyes lowered. I finally raised them to his, and he started crying, blubbering out an apology, hardly able to use consonants his chest was convulsing so strongly.
He explained that the concussion had made him feel so strange and angry. He barely remembered anything from that night but he remembered very clearly feeling and saying he hated me. But he did not hate me at all. And he was grateful I had done the right thing.
I wish that was the end of these kinds of stories. It’s not. There’s always another boxing match. Depression and addiction are always. I do not feel like there is resolve in apologies anymore. They are absolutely important but they do not make a story full circle.
I’m curious what your take is on this, on apologies and forgiveness, on how you are able to nurture relationships that are laced with depression and addiction?

This post is so brave.
ReplyDeleteAddiction riddles my family. Honestly, I commend you. Every time my siblings got really lost in their addictions (and I'm also older than both of them) I hid away. I buried myself in whoever I was dating at the time. I lived where that boyfriend lived without asking. I pretended all was OK and didn't let anyone in - not even said boyfriends. I hid and I didn't help my siblings when they were going through their worst and I will regret that forever. Luckily, I didn't lose either of them. They are both in recovery, as I hope your brother is. It's always a battle, but I've started to learn to be present and not hide. I need to go back to therapy - it helped me so much. Being the adult child of an alcoholic wth addict siblings I am absolutely chock full of issues and confusion. I will eternally wish I sought help earlier on, when I knew I should. I also know I should stop beating the hell out of myself every chance I get.
Thank you for bringing this up. I don't ever talk about my own experience relating to this and I wish I did. I want to help anyone who has lived what I have lived. I also have no idea how to get my relationship back with my sister that I had with her before her recovery. Is it because that relationship was never real? Is it because I idealized what we used to have? I just miss her. I don't feel like I know her at all anymore and I don't know how to get back to knowing her. I love her, does she know it? Does she really actually know it?
My brother is way more openly affectionate and has opened himself to me way more. Will he ever know how much I look up to him and how proud of him I am? Will he really ever actually know it?
Thank you for letting me unravel. It's the realest I ever feel.
1/1 To echo what Kelly already said - this is such a brave story. I think everything you guys have shared so far has been.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely believe addiction is a universal story. I think for the most part, the two dozen or more (!!) women who’ve gotten an invitation to the (B)Log are at least loosely familiar with the dynamic of my family... which I realize in trying to collect it into something shortly put, is not possible.
Addiction and mental illness have long plagued our family.
I’m the baby of 4. I’ve had my own battles with depression but as most of you know the biggest point of contention for me, and maybe my whole family, if I’m going to speak on their behalf, has been my sister. An alcoholic. An overall addict. A bipolar woman, with manic depression. She’s more than that. We all are, but we’re not talking about that are we?
With time, I began to see the youngest of my brothers was somehow infected too. Affected. Infected. I don’t know.
It’s mostly the alcohol.
We are all treated differently. Raised differently. All had different experiences growing up with different levels of nurture, neglect, care, privilege or passiveness.
With the exception of some well meaning enabling, as it all is, I don’t think my parents are to blame. They’re good people who come from places and times where things like mental illness hardly existed. Where addiction... alcoholism, was a secret. Swept under the rug. In one way or another.
It’s divided my parents for 38 years and counting.
They’ve spent the better half of their lives being oppressed as PEOPLE, by this.
I’ll say the common denominator in all of our experiences.. in all of our very different childhoods and beyond - was this disease. Alcoholism.
Bipolar. Manic depression... that sits beneath the surface, too, yes. But the resentment, the shame, the completely different truths we all live - my siblings and I, even our extended family
- THAT is what has divided US.
A l c o h o l i s m
I spent so many years hating my sister. I used it as a common ground to connect to my brothers - who I always assumed were too much older than me to maintain the friendships I saw other siblings having. I later decided, maybe, they had just experienced more trauma.
2/2 My childhood was bitter sweet. I don’t wait to paint too poorly a picture of it, as I have many many great memories. We went to Disney 100 million times, my mom bought me mango sketcher platforms and took me to see The Cranberries at Jones beach when I was 7, and I learned to be a steward of the land but... I mean really,
Deletepolice and ambulances frequented my sisters tantrums. She terrorized all of us. I would kick and scream myself when my parents came to get me from a friend’s house. I did poorly in school. I literally spent night after night playing THE SIMS. Addicted to an alternate reality which I was in control of. Textbook stuff.
When I was going through puberty... at the ripe age of 15 -_- ....
I went through a pretty rough time in high school, maybe I’ll share more about that some other time, but it really put me in a dark place.
Literally. I would come home from school, if I went at all, and go right back under the covers and wait for things to get worse and worse. Wait to feel like I wouldn’t be able to live anymore.
(Okay yes I’ll definitely be posting about this another time)
AAAANNYWAYY at some point I had felt so neglected and abandoned by people in my life, friends and family alike, I decided to reach out to the one person who I knew could understand this deep dark place. Someone who, at the time was 2 years sober, living on the other side of the world.
I called my sister in New Zealand.
I told her I forgave her for her role in my childhood and that I was more like her than I would have liked to admit. But I did admit it. And I was like her... I felt like her, at least.
...well that was 13 years ago...
And so, Em, ultimately your question was how we
“nurture relationships laced with depression and addiction?”
I don’t know if I really do forgive her.
I rarely speak to her. Most people, even ones I’ve known for the better part of a decade, may say they had no idea I even had a sister.
I work on holidays. I never leave town... here, Huntington. I sometimes even hide my status updates from my family - their commentary is often personal, confused, or explosive.
I avoid them. I made my own family.
If you’ve ever had a conversation about addiction, you’ll know people to say that it is a “selfish disease.”
I find that people who unapologetically refuse to concede, or amend selfish tendencies that affect people around them - are poison.
They serve no one. They take advantage.
They cause damage.
I feel deep sadness and commiseration for the fruitless efforts of their care takers, like my mother.
But **I** DON’T fortify relationships with these people. No matter the relation.
Not anymore.
I want to foster relationships that are mutually worthwhile.
That’s one of my selfish tendencies.
Unapologetically.
Addiction is one of the hardest things for me to deal with and my heart goes out to you so strong for having to face it every day. I'd say all but one of my signifanct relationships my partner was an adddict or in recovery and I truly know the everyday battle (even when someone is in recovery). Even to this day it is so hard for me to cope with addiction effectively (which is why even as a social worker I chose the medical field haha) but I do still have to face it on a semi regular basis because of my job. So I'd just say from what I've learned the best way to cope with the disease is to accept any victory with them, help them when they ask for it and when they're ready. But just let go when they're not. You can't force someone to get help when they're not ready and it will only cause you more hurt. Recovery is possible, but they need to want it for themselves, you can't want it more than them. if you ever need to talk I'm totally here for you. All the love ❤️
ReplyDeleteI am inspired by your bravery and candor, ladies. We are four posts in and I am already learning so much, and I'm sitting here in awe of you.
ReplyDeleteFamily relationships are so incredibly difficult. My mother is a textbook, yet diagnosed, narcissist. My father battled depression while I was in my most formidable years and I believe the absence of a stable male figure, coupled with the controlling nature of my mother's disease, drove me directly into an abusive marriage. And when I say "believe," I mean, I know. I've been to therapy for years over this because I was SO angry with them for so long and often said "they did this to me. SHE did this to me." Having a relationship with a controlling narcissist was all I ever knew and I blamed my abusive marriage on my mother. But, therapy helped me better understand myself, and her. Because she didn't do that to me. She's just a human trying to figure out her place in the world, and although she doesn't think so sometimes, I'm my own separate human. I'm not an extension of her. So I learned to build boundaries around myself from her, but those boundaries have helped me assess and weed out other relationships. Because like Allis said, you want to foster relationships that are mutually worthwhile. And sometimes that meant cutting people off, and other times maybe not cutting them off entirely but protecting myself by sharing less, or saying no, stopping myself from calling them when I think I just want to hear their voice, or maybe it's just letting them live and fuck up their own lives and not taking responsibility for them anymore and standing up for myself when their lives bleed into mine. "Not my circus, not my monkeys," is something I mutter to myself on an as-needed basis.
What I'm trying to say is... my mother NEVER says sorry, and when she does I know she doesn't mean it and will go right back to the same old behavior within a short period of time. But, (and it's a cliche but there's a reason it's cliche) I realized you can't make someone change. You can't force someone to accept and love themselves. All you can do is love them for who they are to you and hope that they see themselves through your eyes one day. But you, you have to live with yourself for the rest of your life. Forgiveness is such a personal experience, it has absolutely nothing to do with the other person who wronged you. Because you don't have control over them. You just have control over you. So, I forgave myself and in doing so I forgave my mother. And my ex husband. And my father. I'm definitely still angry sometimes, but there is freedom in the letting go of things I cannot change. So much freedom. "Not my circus, not my monkeys."
Thanks for sharing <3